Thursday, February 7, 2008

Tornado Damage

Shawn took these pictures with his phone yesterday, while he was out working. They are from a small community close to Melbourne called Zion. I haven't seen any news coverage about this little community and they need help badly. I drove through there today and it was so bad. So bad, that I felt a weird eerie sensation in the pit of my stomach.



At one point, the road dipped down in a creek bottom. A creek bottom that just two days ago was engulfed with towering trees. Today, they were snapped off like toothpics, lying in every direction. It literally looked as if a bomb had exploded and that little creek bottom was ground zero. There was insulation from houses swaying with the breeze in the limbs. There was debris everywhere I looked for about 10 miles. Then off and on for another 10 miles. I have never seen devistation to that level. I drove by one house in which there was a lady sitting on her porch with the roof and a corner of her house gone. She was so dejected that it was evident from 30 feet away while driving by. There are foundations but no houses. Cars toppled. Tin from barns twisted throughout trees everywhere.
The people in Zion desperately need your prayers. There is one girl in particular. Her name is Rachael. She is 6 months pregnant with two little boys. Her house and cars are completely gone. She graduated one semester behind me in nursing school. I haven't heard how she and her family are doing, just that they aren't injured. Please be in prayer for them and everyone else that is "displaced" right now, injured, or have lost family members.

Not only them but the rescue workers. It is really hard for the people that see things out of the ordinary. They have a hard time getting over it. They'll especially need prayer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Shelly. That is so sad for those poor people, it looks like they have lost everything. We have so much to be thankful for. I have never been thru something like a tornado but it scares me to death just to think about it. Thanks for sharing the photo's. I will remember them in my prayers.

Brittney said...

That is so sad!!!! Tornadoes are so scary--any time it starts storming I am terrified! So many people lost so much this week--I can't imagine.

On a lighter note...Happy late birthday!!!

Kelly said...

Those tornados were awful. They make me so sad. One went through Gassville (near my parents) and pretty much wiped out the town.