Wednesday night I had to run our pretty little gray cat out of the garage. I could tell that she really wanted to be there but my hubby REALLY doesn't like cats in the garage. Thursday, after it had been snowing for a couple of hours, my daughter noticed that Bella was "skinny". We began searching around the house for kittens. We found two of them curled up together on the front porch. We put a plastic tote out on the back porch and put a heat lamp over it. I wasn't too sure about it, with the snow and all, but we put them out there anyway. My hubby went out and checked on them and one was ice cold. It had crawled away from its momma into the wet edge of the towel. (snow had been blowing into the tote) Shawn brought it in and I thought it was dead. I held it in my hand, for what seemed like an eternity, looking for any sign of life. Eventually, its little tail moved. I tried to think what I would do if someone came into the ER in that condition. I began rubbing the tiny little thing, trying to get its blood circulating. We plugged in the heating pad, covered it with a towel and wrapped both kittens together inside. Eventually the kitten came around. My hubby was very, very opposed to letting them stay in the house or in the garage. We rigged up a better shelter with dry towels and heat lamp moved closer.
At 5:30 this morning, I heard the neighborhood dogs on the back porch barking like crazy. It sounded like they were tearing the whole porch down. I woke my poor hubby up by screaming, "They're eatting the kittens!" He jumped out of bed with only his boxers on and ran to the back door, grabbing one of the boys' BB gun. He yanked open the sliding glass door, yelling "Git on outta here!" and firing his firearm for all he was worth. It was really quite amusing if I hadn't been so worried about the kittens. So, they were brought inside.
Bella is pretty protective of her kittens. I'm not sure if she had more than two. She must have had them somewhere else and moved them to the front porch. There was no evidence that she had them there.
So, when the weather warmed up a little today. We tried putting them back outside. The oldest girl happend to look outside and notice that Bella had taken one of the kittens out of the box, carried it to the back door, and was pawing to get inside. I grabbed the camer but she had already set it down before I could take the picture.
Poor little thing. Only a day old and already has been through so much!
After all the drama, they are plumb tuckered out!
They are now nestled snuggly in a tote in the garage, momma cat and all, with a heat lamp on them. Hopefully, their little lives will be a little less eventful now!
Friday, March 7, 2008
Kitty Drama
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
The last picture is great, your getting pretty good with that camera.
It was more like 5. Bella hissed at me when I checked on her when I got home.
Awesome picture. Did you use the close up function? I use that one alot with the kids.
Bethany loved the Bella name, its a character in one of her favorite books.
Honestly, I just used the auto function. I held them up in front of the picture window with the reflection off of the snow. They were "wiggly" and I just snapped a bunch really quick. It seems like I take a bunch but only get a few that turn out well. Hopefully, I'll get better, instead of just gettting lucky!
Great shots! The little kitties are too cute! I'll have Jeff look at them soon. . .
So cute!!! We don't like inside animals, so I can't wait until we're out of the city limits and we can get Brooklynn a kitten!!!
Oh my goodness! They are too precious for words. My husband rescued a three day old kitten that had been abandoned once and my dog thought she was it's mommy. Too sweet.
Thank you for stopping by my blog and giving your words of encouragement!
Post a Comment